Thursday, June 26, 2008

Weekly Adventures

Today was certainly one of the best I have experienced here yet. Although some people have been sick, I have somehow avoided it so far. Most of them were better today and when we arrived at Hope there were plenty of projects for us to participate in. One group spent the day painting a third creche. I stayed behind with a few members to sit in on a training session for VCT/HIV testing. It was so interesting to watch and see the steps that the counselors have to go through for pre and post test counseling. They tried to do it in English for us, but since that isn't their native language, it was making them nervous so they switched back to Xhosa. We still can't understand a word, so someone translated for us. when we left the session, we were asked to go to a local high school and observe a debate between some of the students. When we got there, the debate had already begun and they were arguing fiercely in English about abstinance and pre-marital sex. This is one of the many important and heated issues here especially with the high rate of teen pregnancy and the spread of HIV. the students were clearly invested in their roles and would stand up and shout at the other team. For english being their second language, they speak very eloquently. I was VERY impressed. After the time was up, we got to ask questions. We learned some very interesting facts about their culture and what is considered appropriate especially for each gender. As soon as we arrived back at the office, we loaded back into the van to head to another kids club. This time we were allowed to take pictures, and I have some good ones along with videos as well. :) the kids were adorable and they sang traditional songs and performed dances and dramas as well. They are so observant of the world around them and the issues like poverty and crime that need to change for them to lead successful lives. I can't wait to see what tomorrow brings! Every day has something new in store and something new for me to learn. I can't believe its already been 2 weeks since I left home. I'll be home before you know it. I love you all!!

3 comments:

Kathy said...

Hi Laurel,

It is fascinating for us here at home to be able to follow your adventures in South Africa--thank you for sharing! I can hardly believe you've been gone 2 weeks already. I'm glad you have been able to avoid getting sick so that you can make the most of your time there.

Kathy

Anonymous said...

Jenson
Is the package safe? That is important. I'm glad to hear your enjoying your time in SA. The things you have shared are unbelievable. Hard to believe it has only been a couple weeks. Hope you are well!!

Agent Chloe

BatmanAoD said...

So the debate was a school-sponsored activity, or something like that, where they were told to argue one side or the other? Or did they get to choose which side they were on? Also, I'd be fascinated to know some of the interesting things you learned about cultural gender roles there. Glad to hear you're enjoying yourself--time to read the rest of the entries I missed while at camp!